FAQs on Laser treatment for Vaginal Dryness & Laxity
1. How is a loose vagina (Vaginal Laxity) and/or Vaginal Dryness treated using laser?
Most often women prefer non surgical procedures to tighten loosened vagina or a dry vagina. Non surgical treatments involve using CO2 fractional lasers.
When the controlled laser beam is focused on the interior and exteriors of the vaginal canal, it restores vaginal health by signaling the tissues to generate more collagen, elastin and it also improves blood vessel supply. This also promotes development of vaginal mucosa.
2. Who can go for laser vaginal treatment for dryness or a loose vagina?
- Women going through menopause stage and have vaginal dryness and experiencing pain during intercourse (due to dryness)
- Women suffering from Urinary Incontinence
- Women suffering for recurring Vaginal Infections
- Women who underwent hysterectomy and are experiencing menopause like symptoms and cannot undergo hormone therapy due to other medical reasons
- Women who choose not to undergo hormone therapy to treat vaginal dryness
- Women who want to get their vagina tightened after child birth
3. When is it more appropriate to use laser for vaginal tightening?
Vagina that has become loose due to the loss of ‘Vaginal Mucosa’ in the vaginal lining, laser therapy for tightening the vagina works best. The loss of vaginal mucosa can happen due to mainly two factors – vaginal birth and age. In both the cases, the pelvic muscles become weaker. The gynecologist has to check for other conditions like pelvic organ prolapse before commencing the laser treatment.
4. Is laser treatment safe for women who were treated for breast cancer?
Laser treatment is absolutely safe for women who don’t opt for hormone treatment and also for women who cannot be put on hormone therapy for vaginal dryness or a loose vagina.
5. How many laser treatment sessions will be needed to see improvements in vaginal dryness and a loose vagina?
Initially 3 sessions will be needed with an interval of 3 to 4 weeks to notice the symptoms subside. After that, your gynecologist will evaluate your symptoms and your body’s response to treatment and let you know when and how frequent following treatment sessions should be.
6. Is laser treatment for vaginal dryness or tightening painful?
Laser treatment for vaginal dryness or tightening is nearly painless. Most often you won’t even need to be put under local anesthesia. A gentle vibration kind of feeling may be experienced when the laser probe is inserted into the vagina. Usually, numbing cream will be applied on the outside of the vagina before application of laser.
7. How long does one laser treatment session take?
Each laser treatment session for vaginal tightening or dryness takes less than 30 minutes. You can have an appointment during your lunch break, get the therapy done and return to work.
8. Does a women need to take rest after laser treatment session?
In most of the cases, no rest or break from work will be required. Typically, application of icepack will be advised in case if the woman is feeling a little discomfort. This too varies from person to person. Note that you will need to wait for 3 days to have sex after the session.
9. How long does it take to see the results after laser treatment?
In many cases, improvement of symptoms can be seen immediately. However, as the energy used to treat in successive sessions is higher than the previous session, better results will be noticed after subsequent sessions. That is the reason why many cosmetic gynecologists recommend a minimum of 3 frequently placed sessions followed by next sessions scheduled after 6 months.
10. Who is qualified to perform laser treatment for vaginal dryness or a loose vagina?
A qualified gynecologist or a cosmetic gynecologist who is well trained and experienced in using advanced technology for treating vaginal dryness or loose vagina.
Dr. Deepa Ganesh is a pioneer in cosmetic gynecology in Chennai and India. She has been performing laser treatment for the past many years with very little to no post operative issues reported.
11. What are the risks or side effects of laser treatment for vaginal dryness?
Risks are very minimal. Apart from a little redness or swelling that subsides in few days, no major problems have been reported with laser therapy for vaginal dryness or loose vagina.
12. How much does laser treatment for vaginal dryness cost?
The exact figure of treatment cost cannot be put up online since it depends on the patient’s medical condition and body, the number of sessions required etc. If you are willing to undergo the treatment and would like to enquire the details, please call our front desk at 98401 65658.